I always loved it when there was a peep hole in the front door on a television program or a movie, when I was a kid. I guess it was because we didn’t have one. It looked so cool to be able to peek through this little spyglass in your door to see who was on the other side. But a peep hole isn’t just a cool little gadget. It can be a very useful security measure for your home.
- View before answering. With a peep hole in the door, you don’t even have to let the person on the other side of the door know that you are inside. You can look out and see who is there before you decide whether to answer or not. If it is someone you don’t want to see at the moment, you can ignore their knocks, and they won’t even know that you are home.
- Verification of identity. A peep hole can also prevent you from being fooled by someone saying they are someone else. Just think how many times people are fooled on the movies by someone saying they are delivering pizza, when they’re really just using that as an excuse to gain entrance to an apartment. A peep hole might have saved them from making the mistake of opening the door.
- Keeps you hidden. There are times when you need to answer the door to accept a package etc., but you are not in presentable form, i.e. you have combed your hair, and you’re still wearing your bathrobe. A peep hole allows you to see out, without the other person seeing in. With no window in the door, you keep yourself hidden behind the solid door as you reach out to receive the delivery.
- Inexpensive. A peep hole provides you with the ability to look through the door, just like a window would, but it much less expensive than a window. Solid doors without windows are much cheaper to purchase as well.
- Discrete. Peep holes are small enough that many times the person on the other side of the door doesn’t even notice that they are there. You can install them easily in most solid doors and make very little change in the appearance of the door.
- A sense of control. With a peep hole in your door and the door securely locked, you can feel a sense of control over situations that could otherwise cause you much anxiety.
- More security than a window. A window in a front door can look very nice and give you added light and a larger view, but a window is only made of glass and can easily be broken. Having a solid door with only a peep hole, provides a much higher level of security to your home.
- Doesn’t need to be cleaned. Another advantage of having a peep hole in your door instead of a window is the fact that it doesn’t need cleaning like a window does. No finger print smudges will get on that little piece of glass.
- Door chains can be broken. Some people have used their door chain as a means of keeping their front door secure while they open it look out. This type of device may hold out against a minimal amount of force, but they can be broken and pulled loose from their foundations. A peep hole provides a much securer means of viewing who is on the other side of the door.
- Checking the hallway. If you are living in an apartment or condominium, there may be times that you hear something going on in the hallway outside of your unit. A peep hole in your door allows you to assess what is happening without endangering yourself by opening the door.
A peep hole is such a small inexpensive device, and yet it can provide a whole lot of security to your home.